Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Ride Home


The ride home took me a different route minus a small part around St Luis Potosi. It was a couple long days which was evident in my desire for long days many miles and the peace associated with new roads taking me through the mountains. I went through this high altitude pine forest region that was really neat. Much like what you would expect in the Adirondacks or some other Northern Woods. A night in Mexico, A night outside of Waco, TX and arrived in Memphis, TN...Loaded the bike and decided to drive through the night and reflect upon so much in my life now. The whole blog thing has been new and I realize that it is good to keep track of ones life and experiences. I have spent years focused on living in the moment and disregarding cameras. I think I will take mine with me more often. It is a nice way to create a connection to a past experience and share your path with others.

Trips like this really provide an opportunity to observe ones life and reevaluate. The funny thing is this will go on for a bit and no doubt lead to some clarity in direction and pursuits. I remember similar trips from my past and walking away feeling like I was really in need of making some changes in my life. Walking away from this one, I do not have that same intense feeling that came in my early to mid 20's. Being 31 I am realizing that it is up to me to make the best of my experiences while I am here. I do see some small changes and some potentially large ones but whatever happens...it won't last forever... The best I can do is embrace the moments and realize everything is impermanent. I can continue to lead a life in line with my values and remain open to the joys and the pains ahead as there will be both. Life is about balance and I am happy to have taken time to ride a motorbike around Mexico. I have made wonderful friends, who I intend to remain in contact with and can guarantee I will see them again.

The Mexican people have all been warm and friendly and not once did I feel unsafe. If you are a gossiper on "the dangerous Mexico", please stop this spreading how dangerous Mexico is. Please confine it to where you read about isolated occurrences usually associated with drugs or politics in border or resort towns. The mountains, small villages, towns and cities in Colonial Mexico are amazing and real. Traveling with the right individuals can help you be safe and research is a must. I think the real thing that can be frightening is stepping outside of ones own world and truly acknowledging that we are all one.

1 comment:

  1. Richard, you are right that this life... our brief time strutting and fretting upon this stage... is very brief; but it prepares us for the long-term gig ahead. Stay open and stick to your core values. Plus, remember that God doesn't raise his voice at us; He whispers from the mountains and streams, from the oceans and sunsets,... with our usual background noise it can be harder to hear. But in our quiet times when we are troubled & desperately listening or at peace & openly listening -- that's when we hear clearly. Keep taking time regularly to stay unplugged and pray, and your path will open up before you.

    Happy trails!!
    RB

    ReplyDelete