Monday, January 18, 2010

Miacatlin!

The road to Miacatlin got funny when it got dark and I felt I was in Cuernavaca for ever. Hoping to not go too far I was diligent and asking at toll booths and at gas stops along the way. It was great.... I am on a bike...turn around go back to the right direction and then get to the next one. I like that while the mexican lifestyle can certainly be fast paced, they very much follow common sense and do not act like a toll attendant in our country would...paralyzed by fear and saying "oh so sorry go through and pay toll." If I sound bitter....it is because it happens. Too many americans are paralyzed by fear and do not do what is right. They simply follow some authoritative figure or entity and lose that connectedness that comes from being present with those immediately in their path.

Toll Attendants and a Policeman got me on the right track and soon I was at the proper exit and asking at a roadside stand. We go through and she even makes a diagram. Stay to the left at the triangle she emphasizes..."Oh..I got this..." Come to the triangle only to realize this is not quite where she meant but more of a split in the road much like a roundabout but diamond shaped. Funny stuff and all I can think is I am glad it is me and we are not 6 strong riding the wrong way into oncoming traffic. A few more conversations with locals and I make it! I locate the site and the town is much bigger than I remember. Probably since the bus took us directly there. I found a local hotel and made some great friends that gave me a significant break on the room since I was heading to the orphanage. The older gentleman showed me the fruits of his labor and how he has managed the property from a dusty field to a beautiful garden. The younger gentleman, who had excellent english discussed his schooling, distances among towns in Mexico and the local ruins, caves and other sites to see around their region.

Once morning came, I made a new friend who made me the best little word map of the sequence of towns that I would come to. We did excellent considering I would say we were equally bad at the others language. It was fun though and he just helped me start my day in a good space.






























No comments:

Post a Comment